The Return of Moonbeam

This headline from Capitol Alert is a few days old, but it's been sitting in my in box, intriguing me...

Brown sits atop Democratic money primary

Attorney General Jerry Brown announced Friday that he raised $3.4 million in 2008 in advance of an expected bid for governor in 2010. That sum leaves Brown, a Democrat, perched above his two declared Democratic rivals, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom and Lt. Gov. John Garamendi, who each reported raising on the order of $1.1 million last year.

It's WAY too early to get speculative, but this does startle me a bit. It also does not include Mayor Villaraigosa, a likely candidate, nor DiFi, whose candidacy is still in question but who would obviously stomp everyone in fundraising.

I've expressed my concerns about Newsom as the nominee, but I'm also worried about Brown. If I had to choose between the two, I have no idea who I'd pick. I do hope, cautiously, that DiFi would intervene in that situation...

No comments: